Welcome Guest :: Registration :: Login
[ New posts · Members · Forum rules ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum Russian Step By Step » Russian Step By Step Books » Other Questions » Do Russians speak English in big cities?
Do Russians speak English in big cities?
Tom_stDate: Friday, 2013-03-01, 9:21 PM | Message # 1
Group: StudentF1
I am getting ready for my trip to Russia. I have already finished the Reading Russian workbook and can definitely read Russian. I was wondering if that will be enough if I get lost. I am afraid that I will not be able to explain myself and wanted to know if there are many Russians who speak English, especially in bigger cities.
OlgaDate: Monday, 2013-03-04, 9:25 AM | Message # 2
Group: Moderators
Hi Tom,
There are two big cities in Russia, where they speak English: Moscow and Saint Petersburg. Yes, there you can go around and found somebody who speaks English: most of the time it's younger generation. I know that according to the survey, people in Saint Petersburg speak English better that in Paris or in Madrid.
But in other big Russian cities - they don't speak English much.

I hotels they do speak English though and they can provide you with an English speaking guide.
Russians are very friendly and are always ready to help foreigners, so, if you write the needed address on the piece of paper and show it to a person, the person will help you to get there.
biggrin
Tom_stDate: Wednesday, 2013-03-06, 8:44 AM | Message # 3
Group: StudentF1
Thank you, Olga!
I am going to Saint Petersburg and Nizniy Novgorod.
biggrin biggrin biggrin
OlgaDate: Wednesday, 2013-03-06, 4:21 PM | Message # 4
Group: Moderators
You are welcome!
I think you will be fine in Saint Petersburg.
Talk to the people in the hotel in Nizhniy Novgorod about that. Things are changing rapidly. A lot of young people study English at school.
biggrin
serenade76Date: Tuesday, 2013-10-15, 5:50 AM | Message # 5
Group: StudentRR
Yes, they speak (not all of course). English and German was the most studied languages in URSS.
Forum Russian Step By Step » Russian Step By Step Books » Other Questions » Do Russians speak English in big cities?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: